[OS X TeX] Typesetting plain TeX documents with /magnification gives odd results

Benjamin Lotto lotto at vassar.edu
Tue May 31 19:54:39 CEST 2005

Using TeXShop 2.02 under OS X 10.4.1 (Tiger) with TeX installed via i-
Installer.

Typsetting plain TeX documents using \magnification=1200 (or anything
else other than 1000) produces odd results regarding the placement of
text on the page.  For example, the simple document

\magnification=1200
This is a test.
\bye

prints for me with the text line right up against the top of the page
and the page number about 1.7 inches from the bottom of the page and
shifted left.  It's almost as though the whole page has been shifted
up and to the left.

If I go to the command line and do tex followed by dvips, everything
works OK, so this looks like a pdftex problem.  The same issue crops
up on other machines with similar setups.

Might I have something installed wrong, or be doing something else bad?

Thanks!

-Ben
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>