[OS X TeX] Flashmode-TS 2.1 - a complaint

Fernando Pereira fcnpereira at mac.com
Mon May 23 20:01:22 CEST 2005

On May 23, 2005, at 10:57 AM, Paolo Ghirardato wrote:
>> Flashmode-TS now works with TeXShop/TeXShop under Tiger. A
>> modified TeXShop 2.03 application has to be used which can be
>> downloaded  independently from
>>
>> http://www.math.uni-heidelberg.de/studinfo/gerhardt/texshop203mod-
>> G4.zip
>> or
>> http://www.math.uni-heidelberg.de/studinfo/gerhardt/texshop203mod-
>> G5.zip
>>
>> The modification prevents the pdf window to come to front after a
>> refreshpdf command is issued. The G4 compilation will also run on
>> a G5 but not as smoothly as the G5 version in my own subjective view.
>>
>> At the moment I consider the new combination (F-editor-previewer)
>> to be the best of the Flashmode variants which is mainly due to OS
>> 10.4, PDFKit and its superb implementation in TeXShop by Richard
>> Koch.

Using the terms of section 2 of the GPL, this is not a "mere
aggregation", since it involves a modification of GPLed software to
work better with non-GPLed Flashmode-TS, and a distribution of the
modification in concert with non-GPLed code. I feel that this is at
least in spirit contrary to the intent of the GPL, and thus I would
not buy Flashmode-TS, even though I buy plenty of non-free software.

-- F

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>