[OS X TeX] xetex, bibdesk and bibtex?

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Sat May 14 12:54:20 CEST 2005

Le 14 mai 05 à 10:10, Jonas Wellendorf a écrit :

> På 14. mai. 2005 kl. 07.43 skrev Bruno Voisin:
>
>> Le 12 mai 05 à 11:22, Jonas Wellendorf a écrit :
>>
>>> I use bibdesk and texshop (newest versions for OS X 10.3). I have
>>> no problems with the combination latex+bibtex but when I use the
>>> combination xelatex+bibtex the characters “ and
>>> ” [quotationmarks] and – [m-dash] in my bibliography appear as
>>> ``, '' and -- in the typeset pdf-file.
>>> On my (Norwegian) keyboard I enter these characters as [alt+n],
>>> [alt+m] and [alt+-].
>>>
>>> How should I enter these characters to get the expected output? I
>>> would like to use the same bibtex database for botht ypes of
>>> documents.
>>>
>>> I use the UFT-8 encoding in bibdesk.
>>
>> I am not sure regarding BibTeX (I don't use it), but regarding
>> XeTeX you should make sure the fonts are called with the option
>> ":mapping=tex-text", as in:
>>
>> [...]
>
> Thank you for your suggestion. Unfortunately it did not solve my
> problem.
>
> I do use the fontspec package. According to the manual the
> mappint=tex-text option will make -- appear as –. My problem is
> that the opposite happens: – in my bibtex file appears as -- in my
> finished document.

Again this may or may not be related with your problem, but searching
my XeTeX list mailbox I found the following message, from almost a
year ago. That was before the "mapping=tex-text" mechanism was
introduced; hence, to be handled with care.

That said, the problem may as well be caused by the way BibDesk
saves .bib files. I tried opening with BibDesk a .bib file from the
doc of a package I use, editing one of the references by changing
"--" to an UTF-8 en-dash "–" (Shift-Alt-- on my French keyboard),
saving the result in UTF-8 encoding and opening this saved .bib file
in a text editor: in the file, the "--" that I had changed to "–"
still appears as "--". I'm not experienced with BibDesk at all, thus
I may not have been doing what I think I did, but it seems BibDesk
converts "–" to "--" upon saving, and similarly “ to `` and ” to ''.
This ensures maximum compatibility with traditional TeX engines, but
imposes the use of "mapping=tex-text" or [Mapping=tex-text] with XeTeX.

You may also try the XeTeX mailing list, where you're more likely to
find people knowledgeable in these matters.

Bruno Voisin