[OS X TeX] A working version of emacs (fwd)

mark oilcan markoilcan at yahoo.com
Wed May 11 17:03:44 CEST 2005

--- Børre Ludvigsen <borrel at uchicago.edu> wrote:

> Would someone kindly point me to a working version of Emacs Cocoa,
> Aqua
> or X11 - whatever - that is utf-8 aware? I work with mixed
> chcaractersets like ascii,
> european and arabic both in LaTeX and html and need something that
> works.

I'm not one who needs much internationalization support, but xemacs
(MULE version) may be helpful. Internationalization including unicode
and utf-8 support is discussed here:
http://www.xemacs.org/Documentation/21.5/html/xemacs-faq_2.html#SEC65

X11 versions of xemacs are most easily installed via fink or
darwinports, but there's also a beta carbon version available here:
http://members.shaw.ca/akochoi-xemacs/index.html

The carbon version is very nice, although there is a resource usage bug
which crops up if you leave xemacs running for extended periods (eg
overnight), and there are a few things which don't quite work yet (like
the very handy package installing tools).

Mark A