[OS X TeX] Re: OS X TeX] TeX and Illustrator Fonts -- CMR Works and Lucida doesn't

Gordon Sick sick at ucalgary.ca
Sun May 8 02:34:07 CEST 2005

Martin,
     Thanks for your help. Indeed, forcing output of eps does force
the fonts to become outlined and I can work with this.

     As I investigate this, I am perplexed and intrigued by the
following:
1.    This problem occurs with the Y&Y Lucida fonts converted to be
used in TeTeX (using the instructions on this list), but it does not
occur with the CMR fonts that AMS distributes.

2.    I think that those CMR fonts were originally created by Blue
Sky Research and they started as the postscript distribution that
went with Textures-- I used that to learn Latex.

3.    Blue Sky also distributes Lucida and I wonder if they
distribute them in a way that works like CMR (and does't have the
problem). Moreover, I noticed on BSR's website a note that they had
talked with Apple about the encoding problem and that the encoding
problem might be fixed with Tiger.

4.    I've run this example with both Tiger and TexShop 2.0 and
Panther and TexShop 1.36 and I get the same results in both cases.
That is, if I typeset Latex in CMR, the resulting pdf can be opened
by Illustrator CS and it displays the fonts as CMR -- that means they
are hinted for display and that some editing of the text is possible.
But, if I typeset Latex in Lucida, the resulting pdf cannot be opened
by Illustrator CS unless I either outline the font (as per Maarten's
instructions), or accept some font substitution for Lucida.

     This all begs the question of what is the difference between the
encoding of Lucida and CMR, and whether the Lucida encoding can be
changed to work like CMR?

> Subject: Re: [OS X TeX] Re: OS X TeX] TeX and Illustrator Fonts --
> CMR Works and Lucida doesn't
> From: "Maarten Sneep" <maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl>
> Date: Sat, 7 May 2005 11:26:37 +0200
>
> On May 6, 2005, at 4:24 AM, Gordon Sick wrote:
[snip}
> Indeed, backslashes are continuation marks. In the part I snipped
> below, you say that it doesn't work for you. Try changing the device:
>
> gs -dNOPAUSE -dNOCACHE -dBATCH -sDEVICE=epswrite \
>           -sOutputFile=your-output-file.eps \
>           your-source-file.pdf
>
> now the command will produce an eps file, and (i've just checked,
> with the same version of gs you use) that the result no longer
> includes any fonts. Illustrator will be able to read eps, or you
> could use pstopdf to produce a pdf-file again. The version of gs is
> important, some versions between 8.1x and 8.5 had bugs that prevented
> this use. It is officially considered a debugging feature, but comes
> in very handy in these cases. I once figured out with an Elsevier
> editor that this is the only practical way to submit figures
> generated from metapost.
>

>> It is amazing that the platform that is #1 for graphics (Mac OS X)
>> and the premiere vector drawing program (Illustrator) and the
>> premiere typesetting engine (LaTeX) are all incompatible in this way.
>>
>> It is particularly frustrating that this works for CMR, but not for
>> the Lucida.
>>

> Blame Adobe for not supporting some odd font encodings. their
> standards allow it, so why not (completely) support it?
>
> Maarten

--cheers, Gordon Sick
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>