[OS X TeX] Swapfiles [WAS: OT: effective Macintosh Trojan ...]

Justin Walker justin at mac.com
Fri May 6 04:03:51 CEST 2005

On May 5, 2005, at 18:29, Aldo Manfroi wrote:

> I have to agree with David.
> I have not done any scientific test, but I have never seen the number
> of swapfiles decrease without a reboot. The way I notice this is on my
> iBook, where HD space is tight. When many swapfiles are created, the
> HD free space gets very low. I then quit all applications and wait to
> see if the free HD space ever increases. It does not, and I then
> prefer to reboot.

To add to the chatter, but from across the aisle, creation and deletion
of swap files is normal behavior, and I observe the number of files go
up and down as I start and stop large apps.  If I start apps in some
order, and terminate in a different order, the behavior can vary
wildly, depending on the relative sizes of the apps, but the swap files
do indeed go away.  The system will even consolidate and remove excess
swap files, as needed.

I've seen this (expected) behavior since 10.1 at least.

Regards,

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large