[OS X TeX] Swapfiles [WAS: OT: effective Macintosh Trojan ...]

david craig dac at panix.com
Fri May 6 03:18:59 CEST 2005

> OS X will create those swapfiles and number them consecutively. When
> the load average goes down again over an extended period of time, it
> will delete them again.

I have never EVER observed OS X to delete swapfiles.  I notice them
because even with 1 GB of RAM, applications like Graphic Converter,
Retrospect, and Maple will often cause the OS to spawn four or five
swapfiles, which leads to noticeable system slowdoans and some
interesting Finder bugs.  Noticing that these refuse to go away, I've
even experimented by quitting every application I can and leaving the
machine be, once for as long as an entire weekend -- the swapfiles were
still there.  Because they bug me so much I've been keeping an close eye
on system swapfile management for many months now, and not once in all
that time has the number of swapfiles on my system gone down short of a
reboot.  YMMV.

David Craig

<http://www.panix.com/~dac/>
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>