[OS X TeX] Using Babel with I-Installer tex installation

Frederick Hoyt fmhoyt at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Jun 29 16:53:35 CEST 2005

Allow me to respond to both Bruno's and Pete's postings at once.

On Jun 29, 2005, at 9:25 AM, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> - Remove the [english] option alltogether (it's the default anyway).

It works when I do this. However, this is not a solution because there
are other language definitions files which I do need to use.

> - Retype the line <snip> completely.

This didn't make any difference.

> - Try using [american] or [USenglish] instead.

This didn't either.

> - Verify
> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/generic/config/language.dat
> looks allright.

The language.dat file seems to be in order.

On Jun 29, 2005, at 9:27 AM, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Could we see a bit more of your log and of your TeX file?

Here is all the non-commented text in the .tex file:

 > %&program=xelatex
 > %&encoding=UTF-8 Unicode
 > \TeXXeTstate=1
 > \documentclass[10pt,openany]{article}
 >
 > \usepackage[english]{babel}
 >
 > \begin{document}
 >
 > Hi there.
 >
 > \end{document}

Here is the log file up to the point of error:

 > This is XeTeX, Version 3.141592-2.2-0.94 (Web2C 7.5.3)
 > entering extended mode
 > (./xearab.tex
 > LaTeX2e <2003/12/01>
 > Babel <v3.8d> and hyphenation patterns for american, british,
nohyphenation, loaded.
 > (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/base/article.cls
 > Document Class: article 2004/02/16 v1.4f Standard LaTeX document class
 > (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/base/size10.clo))
 > (/Users/fmhoyt/Library/texmf/tex/latex/misc/babel.sty)
 >
 > ! LaTeX Error: Unknown option `english' for package `babel'.

> When did you last run sudo texhash?

Last night, and again this morning for good measure. It does not make a
difference.

I will try re-installing tex and making sure that the hyphenation
patterns are installed correctly.

Thanks,

Fred

Frederick M. Hoyt