[OS X TeX] Hello Adobe Reader haters!

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Mon Jul 25 23:21:55 CEST 2005

Le 25 juil. 05 à 21:01, Peter Dyballa a écrit :

> I have bad news: there is in Adobe Reader 7.0.2 an option to switch
> off full-screen for a simple PDF document! You can find it in the
> Preferences (⌘k) -> page display (?) -> standard layout. In German
> it's the last option in this field, something like 'open windows
> are maximized when document doesn't say something different.'
>
> Seems to obey and even work!

Thanks for the tip! Its works for the document windows, but the
toolbar(s) continue to take on the full width of the screen.

I've been digging a bit more on the way Acrobat applications invade
the OS' and other applications' ecosystem. It appears there are three
components that are "self-healing" in Acrobat applications: this
meaning they reside in the application bundle, and each time the
application is launched it checks whether these components are
installed at various places in the system and in other applications;
if it doesn't find them, then the components are reinstalled by
copying them from the application bundle. The three components are:

- PDF Viewer (for both Reader and Acrobat): Safari plug-in for
viewing PDF files; takes over the Tiger built-in mechanism for doing
so, and in Panther and Jaguar takes over the Schubert-it PDF plugin.

- PDF Maker (Acrobat-only): allows direct creation of PDF files from
within MS Office applications.

- PDF Printer (Acrobat-only): additional printer, allowing printing
to PDF from any application.

IMO this is all made unnecessary by the PDF capability within OS X;
unless you're willing to create PDF files with a specific resolution
or compression ratio, for example if you're constrained by file size
(publishers sometimes request this). Tiger goes one step further in
making this unnecessary, by offering Automator scripts for
compressing, encrypting etc. PDF files from within the Print dialog.

The main problem for these 3 "plugins" is that there are normally
mechanisms for disabling them, but these don't work. Reader and
Acrobat have a checkbox in the Internet pref for disabling the PDF
Viewer Safari plugin, but it's re-checked every time Acrobat or
Reader opens a PDF file. Similarly in Office applications you have
normally a checkbox you can uncheck to make the supplementary PDF
Maker toolbar disappear; unfortunately, given the way this toolbar is
created (in Word, Excel and PowerPoint macro files read each time
Word, Excel or PowerPoint is launched), the choice isn't remembered.

It seems the only way to get rid of this stuff is the one mentioned
by Maarten: throw away the corresponding files. The next, or one
after next, time Acrobat or Reader will be launched it will display a
warning telling components are missing and should be reinstalled: the
3 above components. You must uncheck the components, and check a box
telling you don't want to see the warning again. You can see the same
warning, but without the checkbox allowing you to say you don't want
to be bothered again, using the menu item Help > Detect and Repair.

According to the install.log in ~/Library/Receipts/
com.adobe.Acrobat.Pro, the "self-healing" files are:

- PDF Printer

     /Library/Application Support/Adobe PDF/Data/cidstart.ps
     /Library/Application Support/Adobe PDF/Data/epilogue.ps
     /Library/Application Support/Adobe PDF/Data/prologue.ps
     /Library/Application Support/Adobe PDF/Example Files/RunDirEx.txt
     /Library/Application Support/Adobe PDF/Example Files/RunFilEx.ps
     /Library/Application Support/Adobe PDF/Example Files/pdfmrkEx.ps
     /Library/Application Support/Adobe PDF/Settings/PDFA
DRAFT.joboptions
     /Library/Application Support/Adobe PDF/Settings/Standard.joboptions
     /Library/Application Support/Adobe PDF/Startup/Example.ps
     /Library/Printers/PPD Plugins/AdobePDFPDE700.plugin
     /Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources/en.lproj/ADPDF7.PPD
     /Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources/ja.lproj/ADPDF7J.PPD
     /Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources/ko.lproj/ADPDF7K.PPD
     /Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources/zh_CN.lproj/ADPDF7CS.PPD
     /Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources/zh_TW.lproj/ADPDF7CT.PPD
     /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Acrobat/createqueue.pl
     /usr/libexec/cups/backend/pdf700
     /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Color/Profiles/BlackWhite.icc
     /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Color/Profiles/JapanStandard.icc
     /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Color/Profiles/
Photoshop4DefaultCMYK.icc
     /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Color/Profiles/
Photoshop5DefaultCMYK.icc
     /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Color/Settings/Color
Management Off.csf
     /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Color/Settings/ColorSync
Workflow.csf
     /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Color/Settings/EU General
Purpose Defaults.csf
     /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Color/Settings/Emulate
Acrobat 4.csf
     /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Color/Settings/Emulate
Photoshop 4.csf
     /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Color/Settings/Europe
Prepress Defaults.csf
     /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Color/Settings/JP General
Purpose Defaults.csf
     /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Color/Settings/Japan Color
Prepress.csf
     /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Color/Settings/NA General
Purpose Defaults.csf
     /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Color/Settings/Photoshop 5
Default Spaces.csf
     /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Color/Settings/US Prepress
Defaults.csf
     /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Color/Settings/Web Graphics
Defaults.csf

- PDF Maker:

     /Applications/Microsoft Office 2004/PDFMakerLib
     /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Acrobat/PDFMaker/PDFMaker DEU
     /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Acrobat/PDFMaker/PDFMaker FRA
     /Applications/Microsoft Office 2004/Office/Démarre/Excel/
PDFMaker.xla
     /Applications/Microsoft Office 2004/Office/Démarre/PowerPoint/
PDFMaker.ppa
     /Applications/Microsoft Office 2004/Office/Démarre/Word/
PDFMaker.dot

- PDF Viewer:

     /Applications/Safari.app/Contents/Frameworks/AGLData_Full.framework
     /Applications/Safari.app/Contents/Frameworks/AGLUnicode.framework
     /Applications/Safari.app/Contents/Frameworks/ARMLib.framework
     /Applications/Safari.app/Contents/Frameworks/
AWSCommonSymbols.framework
     /Applications/Safari.app/Contents/Frameworks/AWSCommonUI.framework
     /Applications/Safari.app/Contents/Frameworks/AWSSCL.framework
     /Applications/Safari.app/Contents/Frameworks/Adobe3D.framework
     /Applications/Safari.app/Contents/Frameworks/AdobeACE.framework
     /Applications/Safari.app/Contents/Frameworks/AdobeAGM.framework
     /Applications/Safari.app/Contents/Frameworks/AdobeARE.framework
     /Applications/Safari.app/Contents/Frameworks/
AdobeAXE16SharedExpat.framework
     /Applications/Safari.app/Contents/Frameworks/
AdobeAXE8SharedExpat.framework
     /Applications/Safari.app/Contents/Frameworks/AdobeAXSLE.framework
     /Applications/Safari.app/Contents/Frameworks/AdobeBIB.framework
     /Applications/Safari.app/Contents/Frameworks/
AdobeBibUtils.framework
     /Applications/Safari.app/Contents/Frameworks/
AdobeCoolType.framework
     /Applications/Safari.app/Contents/Frameworks/AdobeEula.framework
     /Applications/Safari.app/Contents/Frameworks/AdobeJP2K.framework
     /Applications/Safari.app/Contents/Frameworks/
AdobePDFPort_HFT.framework
     /Applications/Safari.app/Contents/Frameworks/
AdobePersonalization.framework
     /Applications/Safari.app/Contents/Frameworks/
AdobeRegistration.framework
     /Applications/Safari.app/Contents/Frameworks/
AdobeSelfHealing.framework
     /Applications/Safari.app/Contents/Frameworks/AdobeXMP.framework
     /Applications/Safari.app/Contents/Frameworks/FileInfo.framework
     /Applications/Safari.app/Contents/Frameworks/MSL.framework
     /Applications/Safari.app/Contents/Frameworks/Onix.framework
     /Applications/Safari.app/Contents/Frameworks/WAHttp.framework
     /Applications/Safari.app/Contents/Frameworks/WAUtils.framework
     /Applications/Safari.app/Contents/Frameworks/asn.framework
     /Library/Internet Plug-ins/AdobePDFViewer.plugin/

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>