[OS X TeX] wrapfig and latex/pdflatex

Justin C. Walker justin at mac.com
Sat Jul 9 07:04:48 CEST 2005

On Jul 8, 2005, at 18:26 , Justin C. Walker wrote:

> Hi, all,
>
> I'm using TeXShop on Mac OS X on 10.3.9, and having a problem with
> the 'floatflt' environment: following the 'floatingtable' instance,
> all paragraphs (started with hard newline) have their first two
> lines indented to align with the text flowing around (to the right
> of) the table.
>
> In trying to resolve this (which hasn't happened yet), it was
> suggested (on the texhax list) to try 'wrapfig'.
>
> That didn't work either.  The problem with wrapfig is that I can't
> get the table to appear where I want it.  The author has looked at
> 'wrapfig', and has found a bug.  However, his fix doesn't work with
> TeXShop.
>
> I noticed that TeXShop is set up to use pdflatex, so I tried this
> by hand and got the same result.  However, I got correct results
> when I run 'latex' by hand.

Thanks to Donald Arseneau, author of wrapfig, I can now use that
package with TeXShop, latex, and pdflatex.  The problem, as he
analyzes it is as follows:

> It is a conflict with pdfsync.  The version I get from the official
> sourceforge,
> dated 2004-01-13 fails because it redefines \par.  You should try
> it with the [nopar] option.

This works for all the above.  In addition, he notes:

> Another version at http://www.cs.iastate.edu/~leavens/include/
> pdfsync.sty
> dated 2004-12-17 has the \par hooks fixed up, and it works for me.

and it works for me as well.

Thanks to Donald for his rapid responses.

This one:

> I've got a more recent install from Gerben on a 10.4.1 system, and
> the problems there are even skankier (so I won't go into them here).

remains a problem with 'latex'; I will poke around in the ashes and
see if I can make sense of what I see.

Regards,

Justin

--