[OS X TeX] font install July 6

Charles Chapman Pugh pugh at Math.Berkeley.EDU
Thu Jul 7 15:24:17 CEST 2005

Hello.

Thanks for the advice.  I had copied Bruno Voisin's instructions
verbatim, but even after changing input to \input and typing fontinst
instead of fontint, when the file (named Csc-drv.tex)

\input fontinst.sty
\latinfamily{Csc}{}
\bye

was sent through TeXShop with Plain Tex and Tex with Ghostscript
invoked in the typeset menu, Tex complained that fontinst 1.924 was
called for, but fontinst 1.8 was provided. (There were unknown
commands like \begincomment.  I had installed TeXShop 2.03 with the i-
installer, so it's apparently in need of a newer version of
fontinst.)  OK, so I got fontinst 1.928, and replaced 1.8 with 1.928,
which I put in the main Library where 1.8 had been. (First I tried
1.924 itself.)   Running Tex now produces the following console
output.  It appears that certain etx files (namely 8r.etx)  can't be
found.  Are they not internal to fontinst?  (Files labeled Cscr8a.pl
and Cscr8a.mtx are now produced in the folder containing the source
file Csc-drv.tex.  What's not produced are the fd and vpl files.)

### This is /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/
altpdftex, Version $Revision: 2.18 $
### /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/tex Csc-drv.tex
This is TeX, Version 3.141592 (Web2C 7.5.3)
(./Csc-drv.tex (./fontinst.sty
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/graphics/trig.sty)
No file fontinst.rc.
)
INFO> parse family <Csc><>
INFO> to make LaTeX font shape <Csc,m,n,> seek Cscr8r.mtx
INFO> run \transformfont  <Cscr8r> from <Cscr8a>
(./Cscr8a.afm)
Metrics written on Cscr8a.mtx.
(./Cscr8a.mtx)
Raw font written on Cscr8a.pl.
! I can't find file `8r.etx'.
<to be read again>
                    \x_relax
\inputetx ...veinput \lowercase_file .etx\x_relax
                                                   \let \relax =\x_relax
\mtxtomtx ...t_number }\inputetx {\str {etx-name}}
                                                   \fi \open_out
{\temp_prefi...

\transformfont ...2\mtxtomtx {\str {afm-name}}{#1}
                                                   \mtxtopl {#1}{#1}}
\fake_shape_raw_encoding ...coding \font_width }}}
                                                   \if_file_exists
{\raw_enco...

\fake_shape_ ...fm}\then \fake_shape_raw_encoding
                                                   \fi \if_expert_
\if_file_e...

\latin_shape ... fake_shape_\raw_shape \endcsname
                                                   \if_file_exists
{\font_fam...

\latin_shapes ...shape {}{}{}{n}{\_textcomp_true }
                                                   \latin_shape {c}{c}
{}{sc}{...

\latin_widths ->\latin_width {}{}
                                  \latin_width {n}{c}
\latin_weights ->\latin_weight {r}{m}
                                      \latin_weight {k}{m}
\latin_weight {b}{b...

\latinfamily ...\latex_family }{#2}\latin_weights
                                                   \endinstallfonts }
l.2 \latinfamily{Csc}{}

Please type another input file name:
Process aborted
Terminated

Peter Dyballa recommended a longer source file that would do more
steps in Bruno Voisin's instructions but I hoped to get the simpler
one working first.  Peter also mentioned a "simple fontinst.engine".
What's that, and how do you use it?

Suggestions?

Best,  Charles Pugh

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>