[OS X TeX] TeX Install Problems

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Sat Jan 29 16:30:05 CET 2005

On Jan 26, 2005, at 20:50, James Edward Gray II wrote:

> On Jan 26, 2005, at 12:29 PM, Chris Goedde wrote:
>
>> James,
>>
>> Obviously, I'm just speculating here. There are a few things I can
>> think of that could be the root of the problem. I suspect that there
>> is nothing "wrong" with your installation.
>>
>> While I was composing this message, I got Martin Sneep's reply. I
>> agree with him, that the problem is probably a mismatch between your
>> new install of tex and a (probably very) old one.
>
> Thanks everyone.
>
> This was indeed the problem.  I used i-Installer to uninstall TeX and
> then replaced it with the 2003 version i-Installer has on record.
> That fixed it right up.

Install of the TeX i-Package is robust, no need to do an uninstall in
between (it won't hurt though). Anyway, glad that the work I put into
providing an easy interface to rather different versions of TeX has
paid off at least once ;-) I sometimes was under the impression that
nobody had need of it.

PS. I would suggest to the publishing house to investigate moving to a
newer TeX. A modern TeX based on TL2004 has some added niceties (like
font extension and character protrusion). Some work will be involved of
course, bu the result might be better than what they have now.

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>