[OS X TeX] TeXshop and Makefiles/preprocessor and multiple .tex files

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Tue Feb 22 13:46:34 CET 2005

On 22 feb 2005, at 13:22, Johan Glimming wrote:

>> You do know about the listings package to pretty print a _lot_ of
>> languages?
>
> Sure, but I bet lhs2TeX does a better job for Haskell/lambda calculus,
> indeed one can also execute the TeX files as in literate programming,
> so a TeX file serves both as source code and documentation.

OK, literate programming is about he only excuse I could think off ;)

>> yes, it is, but add "set -o verbose" and possibly a "pwd" to the top
>> of the script to see what is going on exactly. The script should be
>> executed in the directory where the master resides with the name of
>> the master files as its argument.
>
> I do not understand this set -o verbose business. Where should I add
> that?

To the shell script: it prints each command before it gets executed,
set -o xtrace prints all commands (including those within shell
scripts. Both are great debugging tools for scripting the shell. I
don't know if it will make a difference, but I /think/ the script
should have its executable bit set: chmod a+x Make.engine

> However, pwd I added to the Makefile and it did not show anything at
> all other than the aforementioned error message, and it lead me to
> thinking that Make.engine contains the "make" line. But I do not pass
> the command-line argument further to make with $*. However, if -- I
> fail to see why it could! -- make gets the file thesis.tex as an
> argument

Weird. Maybe you should explicitly "eat" the argument:

#!/bin/bash
echo "$*"
echo "$PATH"
pwd
make -f Makefile target
# end

> then my Makefile would fail since it accepts targets such as
> pdf,dvi,safe,show,print only. Also the error message is -- maybe --
> consistent with this hypothesis?

I'd say yes, but I fail to see how that could happen. Try the above,
and add an explicit target.

> Finally, as a side-order probably out of scope of this list, can I
> pass thesis.tex to my Makefile like this "make pdf thesis.tex" instead
> of having the FILE=thesis.tex declaration inside my Makefile?

I doubt it, as the argument would be seen as a target, not a file to be
processed. Maybe with 'FILE=thesis.tex; make' or reversed.
You may want to investigate http://rubber.sourceforge.net/ as an
alternative build system (I think you can see how that page is hard to
find with Google).

Maarten

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>