[OS X TeX] TeXShop editor being too clever?

Herb Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Mon Feb 14 23:05:36 CET 2005

On 2/14/05 3:50 PM, "Bruno Voisin" <bvoisin at mac.com> wrote:

> It's all on a PowerBook, hence with the trackpad.

Howdy,

Do you have the trackpad set up to allow tapping to act a clicking? I find
that I gently tend to tap and all sorts of strange things happen.

> It would be too long to explain in detail (I'm attempting to meet a
> deadline for a research proposal due tomorrow evening), but I think the
> problems follow from testing too many programs, installing them,
> uninstalling them, etc. After a significant number of these I've
> started experiencing application crashes, unreasonable time for the
> Desktop to display upon startup (side note: I've read somewhere some
> time ago this might result from a buggy Mac OS update, and the solution
> is to remove some cache file, but can't remember where it was and which
> cache file), etc.

I know that ``TinkerTools System'' can clear some of these but that is
shareware. There are other tools that do that too and at least some of them
should be freeware.

> RAM should not be an issue: my PowerBook belongs to the first
> generation of 17" PowerBook 1GHz. Originally it had 512 MB RAM,
> recently I've been offered a additional 512 MB module giving 1 GB total
> RAM. What I've started to realize, though, is that when you end up
> manipulating relatively big graphical files (more than 10 MB, say), the
> RAM on your graphical card becomes important to avoid unreasonable
> slowdown, crashes and temperature getting rather high: I've got 64 MB
> graphical RAM, wish I had 128 MB.
>
> Bruno

Yeah... And I've got 32MB on the video card. I'm envious!!! Maybe I'll look
into the Mac Mini since I've got an old 17" CRT Studio Monitor and one of
the smaller keyboards from a few years back.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>