[OS X TeX] documentclass undefined

Aaron Jackson jackson at msrce.howard.edu
Fri Aug 26 22:01:13 CEST 2005

On Aug 26, 2005, at 3:08 PM, Vince Filby wrote:

> Woo, i think we are making progress.  Let me report my findings here
> for you:
>
>  vfilby% ls -l `which latex`
> lrwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel  7 Aug 26 10:58
> /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/latex -> pdfetex
>
> in fact it looks like all the programs are symlinked to pdfetex.  The
> path's are all correct, when I specify the full path I still get the
> same result.   Specifying -progname=latex caused my test.tex file to
> compile with out error.

There should be quite a few programs linked to pdfetex.  It acts
differently depending on the original program name used to run pdfetex.
  On my system:

[Aaron-Jacksons-Computer:teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current]
jackson% ls -la | grep pdfetex
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root  admin        9 20 Jul 21:19 altpdfetex@ ->
simpdftex
lrwxr-xr-x    1 root  admin        7 20 Jul 21:29 amstex@ -> pdfetex
lrwxr-xr-x    1 root  admin        7 20 Jul 21:29 eplain@ -> pdfetex
lrwxr-xr-x    1 root  admin        7 20 Jul 21:29 etex@ -> pdfetex
lrwxr-xr-x    1 root  admin        7 20 Jul 21:29 jadetex@ -> pdfetex
lrwxr-xr-x    1 root  admin        7 20 Jul 21:29 latex@ -> pdfetex
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root  admin        7 20 Jul 21:19 mex@ -> pdfetex
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root  admin        7 20 Jul 21:19 mllatex@ -> pdfetex
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root  admin        7 20 Jul 21:19 mltex@ -> pdfetex
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root  admin  1179524 16 May 07:43 pdfetex*
lrwxr-xr-x    1 root  admin        7 20 Jul 21:29 pdfjadetex@ -> pdfetex
lrwxr-xr-x    1 root  admin        7 20 Jul 21:29 pdflatex@ -> pdfetex
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root  admin        7 20 Jul 21:19 pdfmex@ -> pdfetex
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root  admin        7 20 Jul 21:19 pdfplatex@ -> pdfetex
lrwxr-xr-x    1 root  admin        7 20 Jul 21:29 pdftex@ -> pdfetex
lrwxr-xr-x    1 root  admin        7 20 Jul 21:29 pdftexinfo@ -> pdfetex
lrwxr-xr-x    1 root  admin        7 20 Jul 21:29 pdfxmltex@ -> pdfetex
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root  admin        7 20 Jul 21:19 physe@ -> pdfetex
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root  admin        7 20 Jul 21:19 phyzzx@ -> pdfetex
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root  admin        7 20 Jul 21:19 platex@ -> pdfetex
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root  admin        7 20 Jul 21:19 texsis@ -> pdfetex
lrwxr-xr-x    1 root  admin        7 20 Jul 21:29 xmltex@ -> pdfetex

>  vfilby% pdfetex -progname=latex test
> This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.20a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.3)
> output format initialized to DVI
> entering extended mode
> (./test.tex
> LaTeX2e <2003/12/01>
> Babel <v3.8d> and hyphenation patterns for american, french, german,
> ngerman, d
> utch, italian, norsk, portuges, spanish, swedish, nohyphenation,
> loaded.
> (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/base/article.cls
> Document Class: article 2004/02/16 v1.4f Standard LaTeX document class
> (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/base/size10.clo))
> (./test.aux)
> [1] (./test.aux) )
> Output written on test.dvi (1 page, 232 bytes).
> Transcript written on test.log.
>
> Is there a way to get latex to always do the -progname=latex or should
> I just write a short shell script?

You shouldn't have to do anything special to do this.  When you type
latex, pdfetex notices that it was evoked as "latex" and acts
accordingly.  However depending on the shell you use, you can set an
alias for latex to pdfetex -progname=latex

Aaron

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>