[OS X TeX] [OT] Fwd: Problem with Mathematica 5.2 on G5 Macintosh Systems
bvoisin at mac.com
Wed Aug 17 09:35:31 CEST 2005
Le 17 août 05 à 05:51, Louis A.Talman a écrit :
> This update may also cause trouble on G4's running Panther (10.3.9).
> I installed the latest security update on a G4 running Panther
> about five hours before this post arrived. Thereafter, many Mac
> apps, including Safari and Mail would not start. BBEdit wouldn't
> start. However, TeXShop, Mathematica v5.0 (or maybe v5.1--but
> definitely not v5.2), and Geometer's Sketchpad ran fine. I don't
> know whether this was related to the update or not. The machine
> was the one on my desk at work, so I had one of the IT people look
> at it. She ran Disk Warrior, noted that it didn't fix the problem,
> threw up her hands, and installed Tiger. She immediately ran
> System Update and installed all of the updates. Don't know whether
> Apple had quit distributing the latest security update or not, but
> everything seems to work fine now.
My PowerBook G4 runs Tiger 10.4.2 with Security Update 2005-007.
Yesterday evening, after a whole day working on web stuff, with many
windows and tabs opened in Safari (about 7 windows, and 8 tabs in
each), suddenly Safari stopped working: it couldn't display any
single new page, halting at the beginning of the page download
process (the blue progression bar started growing, then stopped), and
not giving away any error message in either the Activity Monitor or
in the various log files in Console.
What was weird is that Mail continued working, and Firefox, Camino
etc. could display web pages OK. Thus it didn't seem to be any sort
of networking problem. I logged off/on, and also restarted: no joy.
The problem was still there in Safari.
I went back home rather upset, thinking about repairing permissions,
trying to isolate faulty pref or cache files, and fearing I'll have
to go through an OS X Archive & Install ordeal once more. Then
surprise: at home, after switching to a new Location (i.e., network
configuration), then Safari was working again. Back at work today,
it's still working too.
Could the problem be related with the security update, given what
Bruno Voisin--------------------- Info ---------------------
Mac-TeX Website: http://www.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/
& FAQ: http://latex.yauh.de/faq/
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>
More information about the macostex-archives