[OS X TeX] Documents less legible with T1 font encoding

Axel E. Retif axretif at igo.com.mx
Thu Aug 4 23:58:58 CEST 2005

El 8/4/05 4:31 PM, "Armin Goralczyk" <agoralczyk at gmail.com> escribió:

> Am 04.08.2005 um 22:52 schrieb Nestor Aguilera:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 4 Aug 2005, at 17:05, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>>>
>>> \usepackage{lmodern}
>>>
>>> will do an even nicer job. The Latin Modern fonts are very nice
>>> Type1 replacements that allow the use of T1 fonts encoding.
>>>

>> It is a matter of "taste" whether the Latin Modern fonts are nicer
>> than the CM or CM-super. Personally, I prefer the CM to either,
>> since the accents in Spanish (my mother language) are too small in
>> CM-super and too much to the left in Latin Modern.
>>
>> On the other hand, I wonder why Armin is using T1: there is always
>> the confusion between the encoding in the source file (as
>> determined by \usepackage[...]{inputenc}) and the encoding of the
>> fonts used (say) in the final pdf (as determined by \usepackage[...]
>> {fontenc}).
>>

> I use T1 because I thought they yield better output with characters
> like ü,ä,ö, etc. since they are not composit characters as in OT1
> (Isn't that correct? I may be wrong; I am just a novice). For input I
> use utf-8:
>
> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
> \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}

This is exactly what I use, because Bruno Voisin and Piet van Oostrum showed
me that with OT1 I get the following hyphenation with the word murciélago
(yes, my mother language is Spanish as well) as an example: mur-ciéla-go;
with T1, on the other hand, I get mur-cié-la-go. That is to say, with OT1 I
don't get an otherwise correct hyphenation where an accent occurs.

Best,

Axel

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>