[OS X TeX] Japanese and LaTeX

Christoph Gaitzsch christoph at cgaitzsch.de
Wed Apr 20 20:28:06 CEST 2005

Hi,

Am 20.04.2005 um 16:49 schrieb Peter Dyballa:

> Am 20.04.2005 um 15:25 schrieb Christoph Gaitzsch:
>
>> Warning: pdflatex (file cyberbit7f.enc): cannot open encoding file
>> for reading
>> </usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/truetype/cyberbit.ttf>
>>

> Could be coming from the map files entries. Could you drop a few lines
> from it?
>
> I have something like these:
>
> 	iatl8c      AmericanTypewriter-Light     <TS1-AGL.enc <iatl8a.ttf
> 	iatl8t      AmericanTypewriter-Light     <T1-WGL4.enc <iatl8a.ttf
>
> My encoding files are in
> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/enc/dvips/psnfss. After
> installing them there I invoked 'sudo texhash.' Where have you put
> your encoding files? What is 'kpsewhich cyberbit7f.enc' reporting?

This reported nothing. I moved the .enc - files to
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/enc/pdftex and ran 'sudo
texhash', now it works. This sounds also more logical than
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/pdftex/enc, but on the website I
referred to is a note that one should stick exactly to the paths
mentioned there.

> My /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf files says that:
>
> 	% Font encoding files (.enc).
> 	ENCFONTS = .;$TEXMF/fonts/enc//
>
> which is different from /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/pdftex/enc/
> at the website.
>
> You shouldn't bother much whether it has to be dvips or pdftex or
> dvipdfx|dvipdfm, the origin of those map files *is* dvips and updmap
> unifies all updmap fragments to three sets, one for each of dvips or
> pdftex or dvipdfx/dvipdfm.

Thanks for the explanation. I mostly worked with debian the last years,
so I'm used to "apt-get install hbf-kanji48". Thanks to the great work
of Thomas Esser and also the debian maintainers I never had to fight
with these internals since the Atari ST times.

Greetings, Christoph

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>