[OS X TeX] Final Versions

Jeff Genung maine at searust.com
Sat Apr 16 06:37:47 CEST 2005

Gerben:

If you decide to drop any new versions before 10.4 please consider having a
"final" version that lays out what works right in 10.2 and 10.3. One of the
things I pushed for when I worked for apple was not leaving a "hanging
version change" meaning any improvements or non working parts of an
operating system should be completed and a "final" version of that OS should
be available. 8.6 had such a final version, and if you ever need it you can
call apple and get a CD called the "Legacy 2000" CD which contains the
"final" version of OS 7. When OS 9 was going away, everyone just walked away
from it, and there were several issues left with OS 9.2 that have never and
will never be resolved.

The OS changes to this point are really so significant as to cause OS 10.2
to be a substantially different beast from OS 10.4 and therefore there
really is something to say for just hanging on to a "very stable" version of
the Tex installer that you do and a version of say six or twelve months ago
that is known to work just peachy with 10.2.8, and just leaving it alone at
that point. When you come up with a package and loader for 10.4 it's a new
beast then.

Jeff

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>