[OS X TeX] Tabulars

Gary L. Gray gray at engr.psu.edu
Wed Apr 13 05:08:47 CEST 2005

On Apr 12, 2005, at 10:59 PM, Alain Schremmer wrote:

> I am doing something dumb, I am sure, but can't figure out why the
> texts won't wrap in the following:
>
> \begin{center}
>    \begin{tabular}{cccc}
>    %Row0
>               First semester
>        &    Math 165
>        &    Science 165
>        &    Engl 165
>        \\
>    %Row1
>               Week 1-5
>        &    Mathematical language necessary to discuss functions
> qualitatively in both their analytic and graphic forms.
>        &    Envisioning real-life situations in terms of functions.
> Describing these situations qualitatively.
>        &    Minimal syntax necessary to communicate. First order
> predicate languages. Nature of a lexical definition.
>        \\
>    \end{tabular}
> \end{center}
>
> Might someone point out gently what I am doing wrong?

They are not supposed to wrap when using the `c' column specifier. Use
`p' along with the width you would like to see (as in p{1cm}) or wrap
the text in a \parbox. The \parbox solution may be preferred here since
otherwise you would have to use a \multicolumn specifier for each entry
in Row0. So, for example, you could use:

\begin{center}
    \begin{tabular}{*{4}{p{3cm}}}
    %Row0
               \multicolumn{1}{c}{First semester}
        &    \multicolumn{1}{c}{Math 165}
        &    \multicolumn{1}{c}{Science 165}
        &    \multicolumn{1}{c}{Engl 165}
        \\
    %Row1
               Week 1-5
        &    Mathematical language necessary to discuss functions
qualitatively in both their analytic and graphic forms.
        &    Envisioning real-life situations in terms of functions.
Describing these situations qualitatively.
        &    Minimal syntax necessary to communicate. First order
predicate languages. Nature of a lexical definition.
        \\
    \end{tabular}
\end{center}

I hope this helps.