[OS X TeX] manpath and teTeX's executables

Arthur Ogawa arthur_ogawa at teleport.com
Fri Sep 24 05:09:30 CEST 2004

I found after installing Gerben Wierda's TeX (which of course contains
teTeX) that I could not bring up man pages of the teTeX executables:

localhost$ man makeindex
No manual entry for makeindex

After consulting "man manpath", I fixed things by making a symlink in
/usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current:

localhost$ echo $PATH
~/bin:/usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current:/usr/local/bin:
/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin
localhost$ cd /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current
localhost$ ln -s ../../man

(The symlink points to the man pages installed with teTeX.) Now man
does find the man pages for the various executables of teTeX.

I wonder what others have experienced in this connection? It seems that
there might be room for improvement in the installation process, both
in making the executables available without requiring each user of TeX
to modify their $PATH and in making the man pages available to users.
What do you think?

Arthur Ogawa/TeX Consultants

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>