[OS X TeX] Microtypography in pdfLaTeX

Ben Lings Ben.Lings at gmail.com
Sun Sep 19 16:21:54 CEST 2004

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 12:16:01 -0400, Alexandru Scorpan
<ascorpan at math.ufl.edu> wrote:

> On Sep 17, 2004, at 8:34 AM, Ben Lings wrote:
>
> > I came across this on the pdfTeX mailing list, and thought it might be
> > of interest.  It's a LaTeX package that does the same thing as using
> > the protcode.tex file (in gwTeX).  It can also do automatic character
> > glyph expansion (with pdfTeX v1.20a).
> >
> > http://tug.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/microtype/
>
> Actually, the package does not seem to currently work at all.  The
> character protrusion is excessive (try an example where a line ends in
> a comma or a hyphen, with \usepackage{microtype}[expansion=false] since
> otherwise you get errors).
>
> By the way, a nicer way to get margin kerning / character protrusion
> for the current gwTeX is via the package pdfcprot, available in the
> same place.

I saw that too, however it's unsupported, so I figured not such a good
candidate for inclusion in a distribution!  It also doesn't do the
character scaling.

My guess about the incorrect character protrusion is that it's
something to do with it being pdfTeX 1.11 rather than 1.20. I would
have thought the author would notice such an obvious problem!

Ben
--
Ben Lings
ben.lings at gmail.com