[OS X TeX] New TeX i-Package released

Piet van Oostrum piet at cs.uu.nl
Tue Oct 26 18:37:53 CEST 2004

I had a couple of problems with the new texlive 2004 setup:

First after installing it I couldn't run latex or pdflatex, they gave a I'm
stymied error. It appeared that the latex.fmt and pdflatex.fmt were not
built. Although the installation process ended with:
Running the configuration script finished without critical errors.
the creation of latex.fmt and pdflatex.fmt had failed. The problem is that
I have selected Spanish as one of the languages and the Spanish hyphenation
file used to be sphyphen.tex, but now is eshyphen.tex. But is hasn't been
changed in language.dat. After changing and reconfiguring it worked.

Secondly The latin modern fonts didn't work (this was reported here
earlier). I run the updmap commands separately that gerben advised but it
didn't solve the problem. It appears that running updmap generates
psfonts.map pdftex*.map dvipdfm*.map and ps2pk.map in
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/map/.../updmap/ but I had otehr
ones in /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/map/dvips/config/ and
these had timestamps of my first attempt to install. So I removed these and
now they appear to work. However I still have problems with TeXniscope
showing DVI files with lmodern.

I also noted that there is an outdated answers.sty.

The last problem is very strange, and I haven't been able to diagnose it
properly. I have a file that uses beamer, but through my own class. It runs
properly with pdflatex, but not with latex. In the latter case it gives a
strange undefined control sequence. I must investigate what causes tris.

! Undefined control sequence.
\GenericError  ...
                                                    #4  \errhelp \@err@     ...
l.13 \maketitle