[OS X TeX] Modifying bst files

Denis Chabot chabotd at globetrotter.net
Fri Oct 22 08:51:57 CEST 2004

Thanks Maarten  and Claus,

I was looking in the wrong place for the format of in-text citations
(books on LaTeX and information about bst files), the solution is
indeed provided in the natbib documentation.

As for the "Edited by" I'll continue playing with makebst.

Cheers,

Denis
Le Vendredi, 22 octo 2004, à 02:00 Europe/Paris, TeX on Mac OS X
Mailing List a écrit :

> Subject: Re: [OS X TeX] Modifying bst files
> From: "Maarten Sneep" <maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl>
> Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 23:56:07 +0200
>
> On 21 okt 2004, at 23:38, Denis Chabot wrote:
>
>> For instance references in text are like (Chabot, 2004) or (Claireaux
>> and Couturier, 2004). I need to remove the comma  between the name of
>> the last author and the date.
>
> This is not done by the bst file, afaik. Have a look at natbib for
> this.
>
>> I tried (but did not explore) makebst, but all questions about authors
>> and punctuation seemed to be about the formatted bibliography, not the
>> in text citations. Maybe I did this too quickly. There were other
>> problems as well, all questions about editors presented by with
>> variants of "editor" with or without punctuation or parentheses. For
>> that journal I don't want the word editor after the editor(s)' names,
>> but I need "Edited by" before their names!

<...>
> makebst isn't too bad, the "edited by" is in there, but you may only
> figure out how to get it _after_ you've run the complete program.
> Change the generated .dbj file and try again. The in-text stuff can
> easily be done with natbib.
>
> Maarten

> Subject: Re: [OS X TeX] Modifying bst files
> From: "Claus Gerhardt" <claus.gerhardt at urz.uni-heidelberg.de>
> Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 00:19:49 +0200
>
> Denis,
>
> The natbib.bst and the natbib.sty file resp. package might be what you
> want, at least this author year problem should be dealt with.
>
> If a journal asks for specific bibliography formatting but doesn't
> provide a corresponding style file for Latex, then my personal view is
> that its editorial staff should make the necessary changes in the
> manuscripts. Why don't you just submit what you deem right.
>
> Claus

Unfortunately LaTeX is not at all well known nor accepted in the
biological litterature. At least this one journal allows me to submit
in LaTeX (they even provide their own "class" of document on CTAN, just
without a bst file...). For another article I am working on I'm allowed
to submit the first draft as a pdf, produced by any method I want, but
they insist in a Word document if the article is accepted, supposedly
it imports into they page layout program with fewer problems with
foreign letters and symbols. I tried to push it but they would not
bulge.
As for preparing a document up a journal's specifications, I prefere
not to give them too easy an excuse to simply refuse the paper. If I
had my way I'd move all journals to one style, the diversity does not
really serve much good as far as I can tell.

Thanks again for your help,

Denis

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>