[OS X TeX] typesetting time increases greatly with microtype?

chris ciotti chris_ciotti at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 18 16:10:33 CEST 2004

--- "Gary L. Gray" <gray at engr.psu.edu> wrote:

> without microtype: 16s
> with microtype: 25s
>

> \usepackage[protrusion=true,expansion=true]{microtype}
>
> All the best,

Greetings -

I have also noticed this but expected it as well.  The time increase, I
would suspect, is due to the calculations necessary to manipulate the
output w/r/t character expanding and protrusion.

My observed lag in long documents hovers around 8 seconds but is well
worth the output improvement.  I just compile less often.  I suspect
there are many on this list that are able to describe the phenomena in
more detail.

Regards,

chris

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>