[OS X TeX] Screen fonts in X11 using i-Installer tetex

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Wed Nov 24 12:53:51 CET 2004

Am 24.11.2004 um 02:22 schrieb Frederick Hoyt:

> Hi,
>
> I am using Gerben Wierda's tetex installation with X11 by way of the
> Fink system-tetex placeholder. I notice that when I generate documents
> this way, the quality of the screen fonts in gv is substantially worse
> than what I see if I use the Fink tetex installation.

This can happen when you use different maps for PS fonts. Invoke in
both systems this simple command:

pdmap --listmaps | grep -v ^#

Then make the used maps in both systems the same (sudo updmap --enable
maptype mapfile and/or sudo updmap --disable mapfile, mapfile is the
name of a map and maptype is either Map or MixedMap). When you're not
using the PS substitutes for CM fonts and alike in one system gs can't
display the PK bitmaps as good as PS outlines. This can be the cause.
You could check with Acrobat/Adobe Reader whether it shows the same
differences in shape -- and check for the name of the fonts used in the
files!

> Alternatively, is it possible to knit the Fink and i-Installer tetex
> installations together through artful use of symlinks?

I wouldn't do so! Fink's teTeX seems to be *very* old (2.0.2). You'll
have of many, many packages two different versions. It can't be
calculated what results this can give. What you can link is the use of
fonts (100...300 MB of 300...500 MB of teTeX). Both systems could use
the same trees:

/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/fonts
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/fonts
+ freshly built ones in /private/var/tmp/texfonts

After that and adjustment of the map files used you too could sym-link
the maps directories:

/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/map/dvipdfm/updmap
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/map/dvips/updmap
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/fonts/map/dvipdfm/updmap
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/fonts/map/dvips/updmap
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap

This way you can have different results for DVI output because of
different class or style file input. The shape (and box size) of the
glyphs will be the same. The process output of further conversion (to
PS, PDF) will be the same, except for differences in the programmes
used and their specific kind of processing.

--
Greetings

   Pete

"Evolution"            o           __o                     _o _
""

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>