[OS X TeX] Screen fonts in X11 using i-Installer tetex

Axel E.Retif axretif at igo.com.mx
Wed Nov 24 06:33:04 CET 2004

On Nov 23, 2004, at 7:22 PM, Frederick Hoyt wrote:

> I am using Gerben Wierda's tetex installation with X11 by way of the
> Fink system-tetex placeholder. I notice that when I generate documents
> this way, the quality of the screen fonts in gv is substantially worse
> than what I see if I use the Fink tetex installation.

But if you distill the .ps file opening it with Preview or with Acrobat
Distiller you'll see that everything is OK.

> Can anyone suggest why this might be, and what I might do about it?

I never use GV to preview. I work with .dvi files in the preparation
stages, and the final runs with TeXShop to produce PDF files.

> Disk space is not an issue, so I could have both the Fink and
> i-Installer tetex installations, but it does offend my Yankee
> sensibilities to have two installations when one will do.

You really, really should not. The Fink line `` . /sw/bin/init.sh '' in
your .profile or .bash_profile prepends Fink's path (try, for example,
`` which awk '' or even `` which which '' and you'll see that you are
using Fink's awk (gawk) and which.

So even if you put

/usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current

in the Engine section of TeXShop preferences, for example, which
texmf.cnf would be used?, which kpsea?, etc.

> Alternatively, is it possible to knit the Fink and i-Installer tetex
> installations together through artful use of symlinks?

That's system-tetex. For example,

Ada:~ axretif$ ls -alF /sw/texmf.cnf
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  admin  26 20 Aug 23:31 /sw/texmf.cnf@ ->
/usr/local/teTeX/texmf.cnf