[OS X TeX] More pronounced margin kerning in TL 2004?

Herb Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Nov 9 15:01:26 CET 2004

On 11/8/04 3:54 PM, "Bruno Voisin" <bvoisin at mac.com> wrote:

> Hi Herb,
>
> Thanks for the tip. I've just tried the microtype package, with margin
> kerning only or with both margin kerning (aka character protrusion) and
> font expansion. Margin kerning only does indeed produce the same
> results as the code I had posted, based on protcode.tex, so I must have
> had weary eyes or been in some advanced hallucinogenic state.
>
> Font expansion yields very nice results, I got all paragraphs set with
> practically no hyphenations (I use Lucida fonts too), which is exactly
> what I like (I *hate* hyphenation, when there are more than one or two
> per page say). Unfortunately this changed most page breaks, and for the
> present document I'm editing I can't deal with these changes right now
> -- not enough time. Plus there are apparently a number of settings to
> adjust, such as defining which encodings should be affected by
> expansion (like TS1 or not), whether math fonts are affected, whether
> italic fonts should be affected (by default they aren't), or even
> running a test file to determine, for each new font family, which
> settings are optimal. The microtype package has settings for several
> different families, but these don't include Lucida, though the default
> settings seem to fit it reasonably well.
>
> Thanks for the tip again, I'll look into it more thoroughly as soon as
> time allows.
>
> Bruno

Howdy,

I'm happy with the results of font expansion using the microtype package
with Lucida Bright so far, but the expansion doesn't seem to work well with
the scaled Helvetica (helvet package) I use for the Sans Serif Font in
combination with other fonts. Don't know why, but I get garbage for glyphs
in the output.

I too am impressed by the uniform color and lack of hyphenation when using
the package. I'll have to fine tune it a bit but it's nice to be able to do
that too. Then I'll just make a small package with my adjustments.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>