[OS X TeX] Re: TeX i-Package update

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Mon Nov 8 09:55:35 CET 2004

Le 8 nov. 04, à 09:30, Tom Koornwinder a écrit :

> If the user gives preferences about languages for which hyphenation
> patterns
> have to be added, then do not only change
> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/generic/config/language.dat
> but also
> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/etex/plain/config/language.def
>
> This will be helpful for those whow want to use non-English
> hyphenation in
> plain TeX.

Looking at language.def, it uses very convenient macros \uselanguage
and \addlanguage, replacing the plain TeX's way of referring to
languages by numbers with a Babel-like interface. Very cool!

That seems to be an e-TeX enhancement to TeX, not referenced in the
TeXbook. However I could not find any reference to it in the e-TeX
documentation
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/doc/etex/base/etex-man.pdf either,
only in the comments of the file
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/plain/etex/etex.src used when
creating the various TeX formats (plain, LaTeX, etc.).

Is this feature properly documented somewhere, or is it still
experimental?

Bruno Voisin

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>