[OS X TeX] Lobbying for Reply-To as it used to be

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Mon Mar 22 12:29:04 CET 2004

A few weeks ago the Reply-To field for this list was changed, from the
whole list to the original poster. This was done, I think, after people
complained the original behaviour violated common list etiquette. In
particular, because of this, it might happen that replies intended for
the original poster only were sent to the whole list, creating
discomfort and embarassment.

I would like to lobby for a return to the original behaviour. It seems
to me that the default way of proceeding, when replying to a list
message, is to reply to the whole list, not the original poster. After
all, messages to a list are supposed to be in everybody's interest, and
similarly for the reply and ensuing thread. It is only in specific
circumstances that one may want to reply to the original poster only, I
think.

At the time of the change I thought I would adapt easily to the new
behaviour and said nothing, but now after a few weeks I'm still finding
this new behaviour inconvenient and illogical. Often I reply to one
person when I think I've replied the whole list; judging by some
messages I receive, I guess I'm not the only one.

Bruno Voisin