[OS X TeX] Fixme question and favorite packages

Herb Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sun Jun 20 21:24:39 CEST 2004

On 6/20/04 1:34 PM, "Lisa Schweitzer" <lschwei at ucla.edu> wrote:

> Anybody else have favorite packages to recommend? Ones they couldn't
> life without? Although the discussion may be a little OT, it would sure
> be helpful and informative to me and, I suspect, other intermediate Tex
> users.
>
> Lisa

Howdy,

Let's see...

I always have the following packages loaded

 amsmath
 amssymb
 array      % more options for tabular & array
 fancyhdr
 paralist   % easily configurable itemize and enumerate lists +

Often used packages packages:

 graphicx
 listings
 booktabs
 url
 hyperref

Font related packages:

 eurosans
 lucidabr
 lmodern
 fourier
 mathpazo + helvet + courier
 mathptmx + helvet + courier

Special packages I put together for:

 margin kerning,
 converting tif to png on the fly,
 and using Apple Key Symbols in documents.

For fun try

 shapepar

I made a large heart shaped paragraph with appropriate content for
Valentine's Day, printed it on card stock and my wife loved it. There are
other shapes available and it is possible, but not easy---I've been
trying---to make custom shapes.

I'm sure I'm missing some more!

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)