[OS X TeX] Problem with fancyhdr on OSX

Richard Burton burtonr at nortelnetworks.com
Fri Jun 18 21:20:52 CEST 2004

I have created the following header using fancyhdr.

	\usepackage{fancyhdr}
	\pagestyle{fancy}
	\renewcommand{\sectionmark}[1]%
		{\markright{\MakeUppercase{#1}}}
	\renewcommand{\headrulewidth}{0pt}
	\renewcommand{\footrulewidth}{0pt}

\newcommand{\helv}{\fontfamily{phv}\fontseries{b}\fontsize{8}{10}\selectfont
}
	\fancyhf{}
	\fancyhfoffset[L]{\marginparsep+\marginparwidth}
	\fancyhead[LE]{\helv \thepage \quad \textbar \quad \rightmark}
	\fancyhead[RO]{\helv \rightmark \quad \textbar \quad \thepage}

This works perfectly on my PC at work (basic miktex installation); however,
when I use the same code on my OSX machine at home (basic i-installer
installation) it fails and generates the following error.

	(usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/fancyhdr/fancyhdr.sty)
	!Undefined control sequence.
	l.68 \fancyhfoffset[L]{\marginparsep+\marginparwidth}

Now, if I comment out the \fancyhfoffset line, it compiles fine. I have
tried substituting different measurements and using \fancyheadoffset
instead, but they also all fail.

What gives? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

sincerely,
Richard Burton