[OS X TeX] New TeX and FontForge (formerly PfaEdit) i-Package releases

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Sun Jun 13 22:52:04 CEST 2004

Le 13 juin 04, à 22:01, Gerben Wierda a écrit :

> TeX has been updated. It now has fourier and ntheorem (in gwTeX). It
> has a new method of creating the GUI-usable fonts from the Latin
> Modern fonts which require a recent FontForge (formerly PfaEdit). So,
> if you want everything, first install the latest FontForge, then
> install TeX.

Two remarks:

- Going to www.ntg.nl, the FontForge i-Package corresponds to
<http://www.ntg.nl/macosx-tex/i-packages/pfaedit.ii2> whose latest
version is 2004/02/07. Hence I did not update mine, which has the same
time stamp. However, when installing the TeX i-Package, the Latin
Modern conversion couldn't proceed because fontforge wasn't found in
/usr/local/bin (I don't remember the exact error message). Is this
simply caused by the change of name (pfaedit -> fontforge), or by the
FontForge i-Package not updated on NTG?

- I have XeTeX installed. During the installation of the TeX i-Package,
xetex and xelatex were detected as formats to initialize, but the
creation of these formats failed, probably because the xetex binaries
were erased at the beginning of the reinstall of the TeX i-Package. It
would be nice, regarding the handling of dependencies, if the TeX
i-package could detect the presence of XeTeX and, if so, automatically
launches the XeTeX i-Package as a secondary install (but also probably
difficult, due to the existence of the two install modes of XeTeX, as
an Apple package XeTeX.pkg and as an i-Installer i-Package xetex.ii2).

Bruno