[OS X TeX] How to reformat a heading

Richard Burton burtonr at nortelnetworks.com
Fri Jun 11 19:24:15 CEST 2004

I want to understand how to redefine a heading so that
*	the heading starts at the top of a new page,
*	and a horizontal rule is added below the heading title, running the
width of the text area and whose thickness is configurable.

I have just reviewed section 2.2.2 in The LaTeX Companion 2nd edition where
emphasis is placed on using the @startsection command to reformat headings.
Example 2-2-9 shows how to add a horizontal rule above the heading title
using the following.

\makeatletter
\newcommand\Hsub{\@startsection{subsection}{2}%
{0pt}{-\baselineskip}{.2\baselineskip}%
{hrule\medskip\itshape}}
\makeatother

It is not clear to me how I can force a pagebreak and add a horizontal rule
below the heading text using the @startsection command. Is this possible?
Would it be better to just create a new command by wrapping commands around
the existing heading command. For example,

\newcommand{\Mysection}[1]{%
\newpage%
\section{#1}%
\rule[\baselineskip]{\linewidth}{0.25pt}%
}

This new command works, but I am wondering if it is an advisable way to do
things. Any help would be appreciate. Thanks.

sincerely,
Richard Burton