[OS X TeX] Re: fourier

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Fri Jun 11 12:47:24 CEST 2004

Le 11 juin 04, à 11:50, Lawrence Paulson a écrit :

> I must have done something dreadfully wrong, because the output is
> horrible and I get dozens of error messages such as these:
>
>> Warning: /usr/local/bin/pdflatex (file futb8r): kpathsea: Running
>> mktexpk --mfmode / --bdpi 600 --mag 1+62/600 --dpi 662 futb8r
>> mktexpk: don't know how to create bitmap font for futb8r.
>> Font futb8r at 442 not found
>>
>> Warning: /usr/local/bin/pdflatex (file futb8r): kpathsea: Running
>> mktexpk --mfmode / --bdpi 600 --mag 0+497/600 --dpi 497 fourier-mlit
>> mktexpk: don't know how to create bitmap font for fourier-mlit.
>> Font futb8r at 662 not found
>>
>> Warning: /usr/local/bin/pdflatex (file fourier-mlit): kpathsea:
>> Running mktexpk --mfmode / --bdpi 600 --mag 0+497/600 --dpi 497
>> fourier-mex
>> mktexpk: don't know how to create bitmap font for fourier-mex.
>> Font fourier-mlit at 497
>> not found
>
> What can I have done wrong? I note (via Google) that the identical
> question appeared on this mailing list in September 2003. I followed
> the thread a long way, but there was no solution.

fourier.map contains:

fourier-mex Fourier-Math-Extension <fourier-mex.pfb
fourier-mlit Fourier-Math-Letters-Italic <fourier-mlit.pfb
futb8r Utopia-Bold "TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont " <8r.enc <putb8a.pfb

The warnings above indicate these lines have not been incorporated into
the mapping information dvips and pdfTeX use. I don't see clearly why
this may be so. Possible reasons:

- Did you run from Terminal "sudo updmap --enable Map fourier.map"? In
case you put the fourier distro files inside
/Library/teTeX/share/texmf.local/ (as opposed to ~/Library/texmf/), did
you run "sudo mktexlsr" beforehand?

- Have you checked the files fourier.map and similar have Unix-type
line endings (as opposed to Windows-type or Mac-type), that they
weren't damaged in this respect by the file transfer or copy from the
TeX-Live CD?

- Did you put the file fourier.map somewhere inside
/Library/teTeX/share/texmf.local/dvips/ or ~/Library/texmf/dvips/?
That's where it should be.

Other than this, I can't see.

Hope this helps,

Bruno Voisin