[OS X TeX] Installing packages

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Sat Jun 5 21:20:49 CEST 2004

On Jun 5, 2004, at 4:24 PM, Fernando Pereira wrote:

> On Jun 5, 2004, at 2:29 AM, Gerben Wierda wrote:
>
>> What is far more important is the distribution itself.  Is MiKTeX as
>> up-to-date as what we have now? Will it follow suit when this year
>> the TeX Directory Structure gets an overhaul? Can we combine the
>> current setup with parts form MiKTeX. Yes you can, but the current
>> setup does not have MiKTeX datestamps, so a MiKTeX like installer
>> will think everything is out-of-date.
>
> What about keeping the .cab installs away from the main TeX tree by
> placing them in the user's ~/Library tree?

This would break the update system. Suppose you have version 1 of
package A and version 2 of package B in your standard teTeX tree. Now,
the MiKTeX repository has version 2 of package A and version 1 of
package B. How are you going to decide what you want to install if
there is no way to detect the relation between a MiKTeX version and a
teTeX version? And that is only one of your problems.

Using the MiKTeX system probably means going all-MiKTeX. And I do not
know if that is an improvement over the current stable and reasonably
up-to-date situation.