[OS X TeX] Installing packages

Joseph C. Slater joseph.slater at wright.edu
Sat Jun 5 18:09:57 CEST 2004

On Jun 5, 2004, at 10:24 AM, Fernando Pereira wrote:

> On Jun 5, 2004, at 2:29 AM, Gerben Wierda wrote:
>
>> What is far more important is the distribution itself.  Is MiKTeX as
>> up-to-date as what we have now? Will it follow suit when this year
>> the TeX Directory Structure gets an overhaul? Can we combine the
>> current setup with parts form MiKTeX. Yes you can, but the current
>> setup does not have MiKTeX datestamps, so a MiKTeX like installer
>> will think everything is out-of-date.
>
> What about keeping the .cab installs away from the main TeX tree by
> placing them in the user's ~/Library tree?

IMO this could turn into a nightmare of latex updates to TeX including
some package, and having a different version in the ~/Library tree.

I ran into this problem with a style, I think it was fullpage, being
installed twice within the regular tetex distribution. For whatever
reason, on different machines, different versions of the style were
being used. It drove myself and two colleagues working on a proposal
nuts, since the number of pages kept changing from one person to the
next, and there was a strict page limit.

Joe

(+1) 937-775-5085
http://www.cs.wright.edu/~jslater