[OS X TeX] Lucida Bright and other fonts in Illustrator

Gordon Sick gordonsick at mac.com
Sat Jul 31 06:34:03 CEST 2004

I'm a little stuck here. This is a question that has been often
discussed on this list, but I'm not sure that I've seen an efficient
and/or complete resolution, so I'll ask again. I've read a lot of
documentation and hired my son to work on this, but some questions are
unresolved.

I use the Computer Modern fonts in the GW distribution and recently
bought the Lucida Bright fonts from Y&Y to use as an alternative. We've
got them to produce nice pdf documents using TexShop.

Now, when I typeset some simple material including an equation and
superscripts or subscripts, and then drag the result to Illustrator CS,
I get the following types of messages (here is the Lucida version):
The font LucidaNewMath-AltItalic is missing.  Affected text will be
displayed using a substitute font.
The font LucidaNewMath-Roman is missing.  Affected text will be
displayed using a substitute font.
The font LucidaNewMath-Symbol is missing.  Affected text will be
displayed using a substitute font.

The document looks fine in the TexShop preview but the fonts get messed
up when I drag to Illustrator. I can see the material in Illustrator if
I used PDFTex in TexShop, but it misses the math and only gets the
Lucida Roman right. But I can't even see it if I used Tex+Ghostscript.

In addition to installing the modified yandy fonts in my local texmf
tree, I've installed the fonts in
/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Fonts/yandy

Clearly, we have the math fonts incorrectly linked.

Any suggestions?
--cheers, Gordon

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>