[OS X TeX] altpdflatex and font problems

Kyle Johnson kbj at linguist.umass.edu
Fri Jul 30 23:58:58 CEST 2004

I have recently converted an Adobe minion otf font into the requisite
pfb, afm, etc. files and installed it for use under Gerban's teTex
installation. I've messed with the mapping a little bit, so that, for
instance, an alternative swashed "k" is in place of the regular "k",
and modified the afm/tfm files accordingly. So, except for these
changes, I've reproduced the 8x encoding in the first 256 slots of the
pfb file created from minion.otf by otftotfm. This runs perfectly on
pdflatex. Unfortunately it doesn't run fine on altpdflatex, under
either TeXShop or iTexMac. In particular, what doesn't work are any of
the glyphs that I've copied by hand into the spots to create that 8x
encoding -- not the lower case figures, for instance, of the ffi and
ffl ligatures, nor the whimsical "k" substitutions I made. I must use
altpdflatex, however, as I use a tree-drawing program that needs to PS.

Does anyone have an idea why running through postscript -- that's the
central difference between altpdflatex and pdflatex, right? -- would
have this effect?

Many thanks.
Kyle

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>