[OS X TeX] [OT] Comments in PDFs

Jon Breitenbucher kahless at mac.com
Wed Dec 22 21:20:53 CET 2004

On Dec 22, 2004, at 3:14 PM, Mark Smith wrote:

> Jon Breitenbucher wrote:

>>> While it's probably possible to bypass the encryption / security
>>> which
>>> enables the annotation feature, that's not a thing which ought to be
>>> done or even considered to my mind.
>
>> I got the downloadable upgrade of Acrobat 7 Pro. I used it last night
>> put comments on some articles I am reviewing. From within Acrobat Pro
>> one
>> can "Send for Review" and you are given the option to allow the other
>> reviewers to put comments on the PDF. If I understood things
>> correctly,
>> the other reviewers just need to have Adobe Reader 7 or Acrobat 6 to
>> be
>> able to put comments onto such a PDF. So as long as one author (the
>> one
>> who will create the comment enabled draft) has Acrobat 7 the rest of
>> the
>> group just needs to have Adobe Reader 7.
>
> Exactly. I produce articles, book chapters etc. using LaTeX,
> occasionally DocBook and I'm currently having a look at Publicon as an
> additional tool. These "commentable" PDFs are a dream come true for
> getting feedback from co-authors who can't be trusted with source.
>
> I didn't imagine that some workaround that allows software other than
> Acrobat 6 or 7 to enable comments would completely compromise the
> security model. Pity if that's the case. This is an excellent feature,
> but I'm not sure its worth the Acrobat 7 Pro license fee alone.
>
> mark.

I'm afraid that my take with most of the Adobe products has been that
the educational prices are so low compared to the regular price; I
might as well go for it. I started as a graduate student, so now I am
only paying upgrade fees, unless the educational price is lower than
the upgrade fee. Strange but this has happened.
_____________________________________
Besides being a true statement, what is the following:

Eleven plus two = Twelve plus one?

Jon Breitenbucher
The College of Wooster
308 E. University