[OS X TeX] Comments in PDFs

Mark Smith mark at bbprojects.net
Wed Dec 22 21:14:05 CET 2004

Jon Breitenbucher wrote:

>On Dec 22, 2004, at 10:35 AM, William F. Adams wrote:
>
>> On Dec 22, 2004, at 4:55 AM, Mark Smith wrote:
>>
>>> Do we have a LaTeX tool which can enable users of e.g. AdobeReader 7 to
>>> add comments to PDF files ?

>> While it's probably possible to bypass the encryption / security which
>> enables the annotation feature, that's not a thing which ought to be
>> done or even considered to my mind.

>I got the downloadable upgrade of Acrobat 7 Pro. I used it last night to
>put comments on some articles I am reviewing. From within Acrobat Pro one
>can "Send for Review" and you are given the option to allow the other
>reviewers to put comments on the PDF. If I understood things correctly,
>the other reviewers just need to have Adobe Reader 7 or Acrobat 6 to be
>able to put comments onto such a PDF. So as long as one author (the one
>who will create the comment enabled draft) has Acrobat 7 the rest of the
>group just needs to have Adobe Reader 7.

Exactly. I produce articles, book chapters etc. using LaTeX, occasionally DocBook and I'm currently having a look at Publicon as an additional tool. These "commentable" PDFs are a dream come true for getting feedback from co-authors who can't be trusted with source.

I didn't imagine that some workaround that allows software other than Acrobat 6 or 7 to enable comments would completely compromise the security model. Pity if that's the case. This is an excellent feature, but I'm not sure its worth the Acrobat 7 Pro license fee alone.

mark.
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>