[OS X TeX] Re: [OS X Emacs] On Enhanced Carbon Emacs

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Thu Dec 16 12:09:33 CET 2004

Le 16 déc. 04, à 11:05, Piet van Oostrum a écrit :

> The current CVS version of Emacs has this also. You can choose to build
> Emacs to live in /usr/local, or as an application bundle. I never used
> ECE.
> I routinely build CVS Emacs as an application. I have my own site-lisp
> directory and .emacs which I built up during many years (on Unix,
> MS-Windows and Mac OSX) and which contains at least the same as ECE.
>
> This is not to belittle Enrico's efforts. I think he paved part the
> way to
> the current support in CVS. But nowadays the CVS version together with
> his
> site-lisp and dot-emacs should suffice.

A dream (which will probably stay so):

- A standard, official OS X Emacs build, preferably in Cocoa (using the
standard OS X Open, Print and Copy/Paste mechanisms, keyboard shortcuts
and dialogs, for example), otherwise in Carbon.

- Enrico's enhancements available as a separate installation
(i-Package?) for this (or others) standard build(s).

That said, following the various recent posts mentioning alternative
builds:

- I compiled the GNUStep/OS X Cocoa port from
<http://kamares.ucsd.edu/~arobert/GNUstep/emacs.html>, following the
instructions in the included README-GNUSTEP. That's fairly easy and
this port has a more familiar OS X look than the Carbon port
(regarding, for example, the name, position and shortcut for the
various menu items). However, it's not really usable at this developer
release stage (in fact, it's unstable and buggy), plus it installs
Emacs.app at a fixed non-standard location (ie at the root level of the
hard drive). Moreover, given Emacs.app is only about 4 Mb, the install
script must have put a number of files at locations like
/usr/local/bin, in a non-documented way, so that I cannot do now a
proper uninstall. This means having to contemplate once more the
perspective of another Archive & Install of OS X in some time.

- The Carbon port at
<http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/unix_open_source/
carbonemacspackage.html> or
<http://home.att.ne.jp/alpha/z123/emacs-mac-e.html> seems to offer
little or no advantage over Enrico's port regarding normal Emacs
functionality, and has no TeX enhancements. The only advantage I see
(over a half-minute of use) is the use of the standard OS X file
selection dialog instead of the standard Emacs command line.

Bruno Voisin
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>