[OS X TeX] parindent in asparaenum

Herb Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat Dec 4 22:25:13 CET 2004

On 12/4/04 2:51 PM, "Alain Schremmer" <Schremmer.Alain at verizon.net> wrote:

> More "academic" curiosity:
>
> (1) If
>
> \parindent was set to 0pt somewhere
>
> where would I have to look and/or what would I search for?

Howdy,

Looking at the definition of asparenum in paralist it looks like it is just
using the standard \parindent value.

> (2) What is the difference between
>
> \setlength{\listparindent}{1em} right after entering the environment
>
> and Moore's
>
> \begin{itemize}
> \def\indent{\hglue .3cm}%

\listparindent is a length that is supposed to be the indent of succeeding
paragraphs within a list item (see the diagram on page 556 of `Guide to
LaTeX' 4th Edition). It is taken care of automatically without having to say
\indent explicitly before every successive paragraph within an \item.
\indent is a command that puts an unstretchable horizontal glue of .3cm, in
your \def above, at that point; you must put this at the start of every
paragraph you want indented.

> (3) I don't really understand
>
> Assuming there is some use of the basic list environment in its definition I
> think that is supposed to be the indent of secondary paragraph in a list.
>
> In particular what does the "its" refer to?
>
> For reference, I am using paralist's Asparaenum.

``Its'' refers to the definition of the asparaenum environment in the
paralist package.

Oh well, I just tried my idea out and it didn't seem to work so it's back to
the drawing board.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>