[OS X TeX] XeTeX - Texshop bug?

Ralph Martin Ralph.Martin at cs.cardiff.ac.uk
Fri Apr 30 05:10:43 CEST 2004

On 30 Apr 2004, at 8:52 am, Ross Moore wrote:
> On 30/04/2004, at 10:21 AM, Ralph Martin wrote:
>> Maybe I am missing something, but I can't seem to get XeteX to work
>> with TeXShop and Unicode in what I think is the obvious way:
>>
>> Set Texshop's text encoding to UTF-8
>
> This sets the default encoding ...

Yep.

>> If I now open the XeTeX 0.5 Sample "test.ltx", the unicode characters
>> in the source do not appear as expected...

>  ... but if you open from the "File:>Open ..."  menu,
> make sure the encoding popup is also set to  UTF-8 Unicode .
> (You can open individual files with encodings different from default.)

Ah. I was just dropping the file on the TeXshop icon in the dock - then
it was not using the default UTF-8 encoding I set. If I open the file
with an explicit UTF-8 encoding all is fine.

This seems like a TeXshop bug to me if it does not use the default
encoding set when dropping files on the TeXshop icon.

Thanks for the advice.

Ralph