[OS X TeX] LaTeX -> Word?

Will Robertson will at mecheng.adelaide.edu.au
Tue Apr 20 11:37:37 CEST 2004

Will Robertson wrote:

> Bruno Voisin wrote:
>
>> Did you try TtH <http://hutchinson.belmont.ma.us/tth/>? It's free for
>> non-commercial use (mostly educational). It converts formulae to
>> structural markup, not graphics. The examples display not too bad in
>> IE, thus it shouldn't work too bad with Word.
>

> Note that it achieves this using HTML tables, though, so the final
> formula will only be moderately editable, and Word is simpy editing
> HTML so its output is only what you get out from TtH. I'm not sure if
> this is what the OP was looking for.
>
> I don't know Word, but I can only suggest that the related program TtM
> (costs for Windows, free for Linux---possibly compilable on Mac OS X)
> could be used, which translates TeX to HTML + MathML. Then use the
> MathML to generate Word's equations. I wouldn't have a clue if Word's
> scripting ability is up to this kind of translation/transformation,
> however.

Me again. After briefly looking through some options, it looks like
Word's equation editor (which is MathType) is the end of a wrong way
street for equations. Applications like the free TeXaide
<http://www.dessci.com/en/products/texaide/> can be used to convert from
Word to LaTeX, and similarly it looks easy to go from Word to MathML,
but nothing the other way that I could find.

So we have Word --> TeX --> MathML. Once again Word is a dead end it seems.

Hope that helps,
Will Robertson