[OS X TeX] From Times to CM

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Sat Apr 3 14:44:14 CEST 2004

Le 3 avr. 04, à 13:21, Josep M.Font a écrit :

> The questions: How can I use a specific typeface of the CM family in a
> particular place of a document with \usepackage{times} ? Is there a
> global switch that would allow to keep \textsf{}, etc. ? Can it be
> done with a strictly local font-changing command ?
>
> The reasons: I don't like the sans serif fonts provided by the times
> package. They come form the Helvetica family (I think), I find them
> *ugly* (subjective!) and they do not mix well with the roman fonts
> (real Times) because they are comparatively bigger at the same nominal
> size; used in the middle of a roman paragraph, a couple of words in
> sans serif look terrible. And for big titles, I *love* the bold sans
> serif fonts of the CM family...

It's not quite a complete answer to your question, but I'm in a rush:
the times package is deprecated in the current PSNFSS setup, you've got
to use separate packages for the serif, sans serif and monospaced
fonts:

- For the serif font, you can use mathptmx for Times and mathpazo for
Palatino. It will select the serif font only, and create a matching set
of math fonts based on Times (resp. Palatino), Symbol and cmmi, cmsy,
cmex.

- For the sans serif font, the helvet package includes now an option
[scaled=<number>] which scales Helvetica, the default value of <number>
being .92.

- For the monospaced font, you can still use Courier with the courier
package.

There are also packages of course for Bookman, Avant Garde, New Century
Schoolbook, Zapf Chancery, though they are not as sophisticated as the
others (no scaling, no matching math fonts). For all these matters see
/Library/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/doc/latex/psnfss/psnfss2e.pdf.

You can also use the Utopia serif font with the Fourier matching math
fonts, and still have cmss for sans serif, cmtt for monospace. I just
saw on comp.text.tex that a new version of Fourier fonts has been
released, I'm surprised it has not been announced here yet.

Bruno Voisin