[OS X TeX] TeX i-Package updated (on Yale only)

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Fri Apr 2 23:03:06 CEST 2004

On Apr 2, 2004, at 16:41, Maarten Sneep wrote:

> On 2 apr 2004, at 16:16, Gerben Wierda wrote:
>
>> From the release notes:
>>
>> 2004/03/29:
>> • ppower4, texpower, pdfslide, pdfscreen, ifmslide and answers now
>> taken directly from TeX Live's Master instead from my own (out of
>> date) store.
>
> At least that is not on the first of April :-)
> (raise your hand
>     [like so: \usepackage{pifont}\raisebox{2ex}[0pt][0pt]{\ding{44}}]
> if you thought Gmail was an April's Fools joke).
>
> On a related note: do you have an idea when teTeX (i.e. Thomas Esser)
> or gwTeX will update latex to the recently released LaTeX2e?
> (Officially dated 23rd of December 2003: the 10 year anniversary
> edition, see http://www.latex-project.org/ for details. In practice it
> was released on 13th of March 2004).
>
> There are some changes that may be of interest to others here as well:
> official utf-8 support in the inputenc package (without needing the
> ucs package), and various other updates.
>
> I've been hesitant to try and install it myself, but I think this is a
> typical change to try out on the Yale package.

There will be a massive reorganization of both TeX Live and teTeX and
it is in the works. For those who want it, it is easy enough to replace
my setup with a pure teTeX-beta (you need to compile and install).

The reason I am not following this development in my releases is its
unstable state (TDS is being reorganized, stuff relocated, etc.). So,
current developments, I am watching but not releasing.

I am waiting a bit until most of the dust has settled before I start
checking and making sure it works. Then I also have to write conversion
for old to new (for texmf.local), check that on install/update you do
not get mix/match of old and new, etc. etc. A lot of work.