[OS X TeX] Extremely weird bug in: dvips? ghostscript? lucida fonts?

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Fri Apr 2 17:48:14 CEST 2004

On 2 apr 2004, at 17:14, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> After days learning the intricacies of hyperref, I am now facing an
> extremely weird bug of a different sort. A reduction is the following
> input file:

[snip sample]

> This file uses Lucida Sans in upright and italic shapes. With pdfTeX
> everything typesets OK, but with dvips + ps2pdf it seems that every
> italic word containing the letter "é" triggers, for this word only,
> the use of a Type 3 version of the Lucida font.

[some more details of what is observed]

> I'm really at a loss for understanding what's happening. I would think
> a GhostScript bug, all the more since using the Panther Distiller
> instead of ps2pdf13 suppresses the problem. Or maybe an indirect
> consequence of a malformed Lucida font?

I've tried it with most combinations of latex+dvips+a distiller
(replace a distiller with Apple's pstopdf or ghostscript). I have
installed version "AFPL Ghostscript 8.00 (2002-11-21)" (AFAIK the most
recent gs 8 from i-Installer). I cannot reproduce this issue. I cannot
reach your ftp-site, but I'd like to test with your dvi-file and your
ps-file. Can you send me an off-list message?

> Is anybody with Lucida fonts able to reproduce this bug? Has any hints
> on a diagnosis?

What is your version of gs? (gs -version should tell). How did you
install Lucida? (I recall you have gotten Lucida with an older TeXtures
install, and translated the fonts over to present day TeX).

Maarten

How many grains of rice did you say?
Eighteen quintillion, four hundred forty six quadrillion, seven hundred
forty four trillion, seventy three billion, seven hundred nine million,
five hundred fifty one thousand, six hundred and fifteen.