[OS X TeX] TeXShop/teTeX speed using TeX+ghostscript

Warren Nagourney warren at dirac.phys.washington.edu
Tue Sep 24 02:14:05 CEST 2002

Hello,

I recently wrote my first proposal (to the NSF) using TeXshop/teTeX; I
formerly used TeXtures. First, I hope this doesn't come off as a whine:
I really like TeXShop and in many ways prefer it to TeXtures. The
problem is the large speed difference (up to 10x)  between this package
and TeXtures and I wonder whether there is anything I can do to improve
this.

My proposal was 15 pages long and had no equations (I'm an
experimentalist) but contained 8 figures in .eps format. I realize that
pdflatex would be faster, but I often need to share LaTeX source with
others (usually using windows) and I find the .eps format more
convenient for this.

Using TeXtures, it would take about 1-2 seconds for a change in the
source to appear in the typeset window (no antialiasing). In TeXShop,
this takes about 7-10 seconds on a 500 MHz G4 (the TeXing takes about 2
sec). I realize that the antialiasing and ghostscript conversion takes
time, but it seems that the discrepancy is too large. Does anyone have
any suggestions?

I am using TeXShop 1.20 and the latest version of teTeX on Richards
website.

Thanks for any help and for a great application.

Warren Nagourney
Warren Nagourney   <warren at dirac.phys.washington.edu>  Voice:
206-543-9585
University of Washington
-0143
Physics Dept., Box 351560, Seattle, WA 98195             Fax:
206-685-0635