[OS X TeX] TeXShop/teTeX speed using TeX+ghostscript

Bruno Voisin Bruno.Voisin at hmg.inpg.fr
Tue Sep 24 12:19:16 CEST 2002

Le mardi, 24 sep 2002, à 02:14 Europe/Paris, Warren Nagourney a écrit :

> [snip]
>
> Using TeXtures, it would take about 1-2 seconds for a change in the
> source to appear in the typeset window (no antialiasing). In TeXShop,
> this takes about 7-10 seconds on a 500 MHz G4 (the TeXing takes about
> 2 sec). I realize that the antialiasing and ghostscript conversion
> takes time, but it seems that the discrepancy is too large. Does
> anyone have any suggestions?
>
> I am using TeXShop 1.20 and the latest version of teTeX on Richards
> website.

There is normally not so much difference between TeXShop's and
Textures' performances, in my experience. However there is some
"incompatibility" between TeXShop and Jaguar (= OS X 10.2), which might
cause what you report. Have you tried disabling syntax coloring, in
TeXShop's preferences ? This should make TeXShop much faster. I think
TeXShop's developers are working to solve this issue.

Bruno Voisin